Party Wall Matters

CHPK can advise property owners and tenants of their rights if a neighbour is planning works to an adjacent property. Extensions, loft conversions or even major internal works could fall under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

The act provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to adjoining buildings/party walls.

CHPK has the knowledge and skills to give independent advice and act in accordance with the act for:

  • Building owners or occupiers who intend to carry out works to, or adjacent to, an adjoining building/party wall

  • Adjoining owners or occupiers who may be affected by such works

We employ experts in party wall legislation in Tom Moriarty and Alex Maidment. Both  are members of the Pyramus and Thisbe Club which seeks to advance knowledge of party wall legislation and procedure and to promote best professional practice in its application. The Club played a pivotal role in the framing of the present Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (

The RICS has published a consumer guide to Party Wall maters and this can be found by clicking here.

CHPK also advises on the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 and crane oversailing licences.